Friday, December 3, 2010

The Kitchen Garden Novice Decks the Halls

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

Buddha

My nephew posted this quote to his FB page recently. Seems like a sound aspiration. (And something to which I try to adhere.) But Christmas is one of those times of year when staying in the present becomes a quest of Quixotic proportions. Take for instance yesterday morning, when I decided to decorate the Christmas tree. Immersed in holiday happiness, I pulled the first ornament from the bin. In the blink of St. Nick's eye, I was transported back in time.

I know what you're thinking: rosy cheeked cherubs, carols, nativity scenes, and holidays past. But that's at somebody else's house. That's not how we roll. For years, hubby and I choose to find Christmas ornaments on each of our summer vacation trips to here and yon. We don't buy T-shirts, hats, or teaspoons. We buy Christmas ornaments. And so, at Christmas time we remember those far-away ports of call.

As I decorated. I reminisced. There was the bulb we picked up at hubby's pilgrimage to Graceland, a visit I almost ruined for him with my snooty, snarky attitude. (I was not very enlightened then.)

       I unwrapped the little mouse
       with the wine rack
       we'd picked up in
       California wine country.
       (She was, I confess,
        accompanied home
        by several bottles of
        Pinot and Chardonnay.)





There was the hand-painted
sand dollar we picked up
at a boutique in
Myrtle Beach on a trip
when we pulled into town
in the wake of
Hurricane Charlie.




I uncovered the Mardi Gras 
masks we'd spied on Canal Street
in New Orleans
while braving gale-force
winds brought ashore by
Hurricane Rita.                       





I dug out the snowman
hockey player we'd scored
in Vancouver. That was the
cruise we were diverted from
a Mexican beach trip by the
Swine Flu's invasion of
Mexico's resort towns. (Are
you starting to see a pattern
here? Hubby and I often
travel leaving a trail of disaster
breadcrumbs.)



And then of course there were the
half-dozen seashell angels I'd
crafted from the bucketfuls of shells
we'd picked up on the beach
in Galveston. I can still feel the
backache from doing
the shell-seeker's stoop.





I unpacked the cable car commemorating our many trips to San Francisco, the snorkeling Santa from Grand Cayman, the starfish from St. Thomas, and the skiing moose from Park City's, Olympic Village. Every trinket unlocked a treasure chest of memories...people... places...  I was filled with wonder at how our lives have unfolded, how blessed we've been to pursue our hearts' desire to travel.

I thought about Wisuth, the Thai waiter.  Did he ever fulfill his dream of opening a restaurant in Thailand?

I conjured up a vision of The Battery in Charleston. Are all of those Painted Ladies twinkling this very minute with holiday garland and lights?

I envisioned Santa Fe with a light dusting of snow. Do luminarias line the cobblestone streets and balconies yet?

And how about Orlando, our waiter on Carnival Splendor. Was he able to take Splendor's unscheduled dry dock to go home to his family in the Philippines for Christmas? 

No, with all due respect to Buddha, at Christmas time, staying in the present faces a whole barrage of challenges. And perhaps it should. As I recall the places and faces of my heart, that, my dear friends, is "a present" of another kind.



No comments:

Post a Comment