Monday, August 27, 2012

What Doth This Parrot Portend?

A UFO landed on my swimming pool yesterday morning. Okay. So it was some kind of parrot; but since I have yet to identify the genus, I'm sticking with the classification  "Unidentified Flying Object."

I was sitting on the patio doing my morning reading and meditation. I glanced up for a moment to glimpse a bright green parrot swoop down and perch on the railing into the pool. I wouldn't even be certain I really witnessed it, but I whispered to my hubby, "Look!" Hubby will verify that it was indeed there. A parrot. Of the most glorious, vibrant yellow-green. And then, as quickly as our guest had landed, she spread her wings and flew off.

"I wonder what it means?" I mused.

"It means someone lost their pet parrot," replied my literal thinking hubby.

I, on the other hand, am quite sure the visit by my chartreuse friend is a sign of some import, something that screams "Sit up straight and pay attention!" I don't like the word "omen."  It sounds so...well...ominous. But the appearance of our bright green bird was so unexpected, so incongruous on my desert patio against the marine blue background, I can't quite get it out of my mind. It has to mean something, doesn't it?  I did a Google search for "omens and parrots" but found nothing. Likewise a search of bird classification revealed little. The best I can figure, the bird might belong to the Amazon Green family. (Why is it you never have a camera at hand when you need one?)

I emailed my friend Sarah, a veterinary student and bird aficionado, for her expertise. "Do you suppose someone lost their pet parrot?" she replied.  Thanks Sarah.  That hadn't occurred to me.

The rest of the day my thoughts kept returning to the appearance of our fleeting stranger. It made the day rather magical and wondrous.  I spent a bit more time in the "now," aware of any new sound or sight that sparked my senses. I'll admit it.  I've been obsessing about that bright green bird now for 24 hours. And waiting...and waiting... (Insert heavy sight here.)

I have another friend who is a bona fide psychic. Perhaps I'll drop her an email and see what she thinks it all means. Then again, I'm afraid she'll probably say, "It means that someone lost their pet parrot." And that would be a disappointment I simply could not handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment