Saturday, April 3, 2010

Resurrection Moment

A long, dismal week
filled with appointments, obligations, responsibilities.
When did life become so mundane?

I drag my weary body out for a walk.
Exercise is good for the soul.
But even my route seems routine--
      each step another obligation,
      like one more thing to cross off my list as "done."
      Mile one: check.
      Mile two: check.

And then...

I crest the hill, and turn the bend, out of breath.
Is it the steep incline or eager anticipation
     that quickens my pulse?
Before me, a panorama unfolds--
     eons old, yet ever new.

Sunlight dances on yellow brittlebush,
mesquite and palm trees
lining the road, revelers at a parade.
Black pavement winds to
       blue waters,
          pastel desert,
             shadowy mountains,
       azure skies.

Like Lazarus, stumbling from the grave,
I awaken and weep with joy,
   reborn,
       reunited with the Source from which I came.



















Psalm 118: 24   This is the day the Lord has made;
                                let us rejoice and be glad in it.
      

I

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your inspiring poem and photo. Perceiving from gratitude can change one's entire outlook. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete