Monday, March 8, 2010

Sowing Seeds of Love

So I spent the afternoon with my two granddaughters today, and for one of our activities, I decided it would be fun to include them in "Project Kitchen Garden." What could be more important than sharing my delusion vision for a sustainable herb terrarium, right?

It started out well enough. I intended to take the girls out to the patio for reseeding and potting. But, with gully-washer rains interspersed with driving wind, suffice it to say, the weather did not cooperate. Not to worry--I had formulated "plan B." We took the project to the garage.

The eight-year-old showed enthusiasm for about five minutes. Playing in dirt was not her thing. "This stuff is sticking to my fingers," she complained. Never mind the fact that her fingers were already stained with water color markers and stamping ink from the previous scrapbooking project we had just finished. The two-year-old showed much more interest. Dirt is definitely her thing. With each expanding rehydrated potting pellet she exclaimed "OOh! COOOL!"

All was controlled chaos until that sweet baby decided to open the seed packet of lavender by herself. (Including lavender in a terrarium for culinary herbs now seems totally ill-advised.) Before I could stop her, she was shaking the open seed packet, scattering lavender seeds across the entire terrarium bed.

I have already noticed that my cilantro pot contains some suspiciously basil-looking sprigs. The basil has definitely been doing some unauthorized fraternizing. I can't imagine where the lavender is going to turn up. But I wouldn't be surprised if some doesn't sprout in the cilantro pot as well. That's just as it should be. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Just wondering--lavender isn't poisonous, is it?

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't find it in any toxic plants listings, although lavender oil can be harmful. Stay away from jasmine, one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete