Sunday, February 14, 2010

Gung Hay Fat Choy!


Gung Hay Fat Choy, friends!

Be honest, now. You thought I would be wishing you a Happy Valentine's Day, didn't you? My hubby is more focused on The Daytona 500 today--a new season for Nascar. And let's not forget President's Day tomorrow. Or Fat Tuesday the day after. There is a plethora of possibilities for celebration this weekend. Me--I'm celebrating Chinese New Year.

What could be more appropriate than the Kitchen Garden Novice, celebrating the Lunar New Year. A Chinese proverb declares that all creation is reborn on New Years Day. And this is the Year of the Tiger, a particularly auspicious alignment of the heavens. It will be a year of resilience, redemption, and rededication. Of course I was born in the Year of the Horse. Those of us born under the sign of the Horse are eternal optimists. (We are also prone to unfinished projects, dirty dishes in the sink, and laundry awaiting folding. That resilience, redemption, and rededication stuff seems particularly targeted to us.)

My little kitchen herb garden could definitely use a bit of rebirth. The new seedlings I started two weeks ago are flourishing. The seedlings I transplanted to pots are not. My dill is droopy, my cilantro, sparse. And don't even ask about that reticent rosemary. Maybe I was a bit over eager to repot. Maybe I rushed the cultivation before the sprouts were ready.

Therefore, I resolve in this Year of the Tiger to germinate patience, to nurture joy, and to cultivate commitment. And because it's the Year of the Tiger, I know that my little kitchen garden won't hold my shortcomings against me. Tigers never hold a grudge.

Best wishes and congratulations! Have a prosperous and good year!

The Kitchen Garden Novice

2 comments:

  1. I've heard repotting is quite traumatic for plants. They must be prepared physically and emotionally for the disruption. It's a scarey deal. Perhaps if you give them encouragement and promise they will be nourished and protected in their new homes, they will come around.

    ReplyDelete